The Dexcom Saga Has Ended. (Hopefully)

We received Angelina’s Dexcom via FedEx on January 21st. Hooray!!!  Went through the quick start guide and watched the tutorial while putting in on her first sensor and everything went really well.  It took a bit more force to push the transmitter on with the little clip thingy than I was expecting, which means that I also pinched her skin harder than I should have and she yelled at me.  However, the process was pretty simple and not so painful (aided greatly by EMLA cream).  Dexcom was up and running 2 hours later and we started the beautiful, beautiful data stream.  Of course, diabetes decided to play dirty that night and she was reading about 300 at midnight.  Fingerstick says she’s 260ish, I think?   Okay, it’s only been 6 hours since it started, we’ll chalk this up to first 24 hours adjustment period, still within 20% at those high of numbers.

And then Dexcom continued to alarm high every 2 hours throughout the night.  We used the enlites back in November and one of Ang’s complains was way too many alarms (especially false ones) so I set the Dexcom up with very conservative alarms – 75 for lows and 300 for highs with no fall or rise rate alarms.  I also have her high snooze set for 120 minutes since her active insulin time is 2 hours.  So, every 2 hours that night I got woken up by Dexcom, got up, did fingerstick, gave corrections.  This may sound like a bad thing.  But it was WONDERFUL!!  Not so much that she had a continually stubborn high overnight, but that the Dexcom actually woke me up, and not only that but the furthest it was off after that midnight reading (which I re-calibrated for) was 9 points!   At blood sugar levels of 300+ being 9 points off at most is AMAZING.  Because, seriously, even with her meter (which has a 15% accuracy rating) when her blood sugar is that high, 2 consecutive fingersticks in the same time period may be off by more than 9 points!  I was amazed!

Our experience continued like that and I cannot sing the praises of the Dexcom highly enough.   And then, on day 7 I get a phone call from Angelina at school.  “Mom, something is wrong with the Dexcom.  It says ‘call technical support’ and has an error code.”  At this point I can hear the thing alarming (really loudly!) so I asked her if she could go into the menu to shut down the receiver.  But, apparently when there’s an error you can’t do ANYTHING, so I had to go to school.

I called Dexcom and was directed to reset the receiver.  It vibrated and then continued with the error screen.  At which point I was informed they would overnight us a new receiver.  A week after we got the first one.  Seriously.  I sadly took the receiver home with me and felt a sense of panic that Angelina wouldn’t have it the rest of the day.  Especially since the day before she had a low of 65 at 1:45 in the afternoon and only knew about it because of the Dexcom.  If you’ve read my previous post about what’s happening at school, then you would know that the nurse has decided that Angelina no longer needs an end of the day blood sugar check since “she’s usually high at that time” and those checks will no longer be done after Jan 31st.

So, that was Tuesday.  I took the receiver home and about an hour later decided to try to see if I could reset it again.  It worked that time, so I called Dexcom and was told they were still going to send a replacement since it shouldn’t be doing that and the fact that it wouldn’t reset earlier was concerning.  When Ang got home from school I went ahead and reconnected her and readings seemed to be pretty accurate.  Of course, she was high because at the end of the day check she was 130 (which is pretty great for her!) and the health tech decided that was too low for her to go on the bus with.  Rather than calling me, she went ahead and gave her a snack and a juice.  She was 220 when we got Dexcom back online.

We went out for dinner and she had a cheeseburger and french fries from Red Robin.  I didn’t think much of it until a couple hours later when her BG started climbing.  I did some correction around bedtime and dexcom showed that she was starting to come down a little.  I went to bed and figured it would wake me up if she went higher.  Well… I woke up a few times during the night and peeked at the Dexcom, which showed she had drifted down and was pretty close to target so I just let it be.

Wednesday morning I got up and Dexcom said she was 169.  Fingerstick said 250.  If trend graph was to be trusted that meant that she had been around 75 pts higher the entire night and actually had gone over 300 at some point, but dexcom didn’t register it.  I decided to pull the sensor and send her to school without it.  Fedex delivered new receiver around lunch time!  I then got a phone call at the end of the day that Angelina’s blood sugar was 104.  I said that was fine, but Angelina insisted that she felt like she was dropping so she had PB crackers (with insulin) and got on the bus.  Of course she was pushing 200 again when she got home.

Then we got her new sensor in and new receiver all hooked up and life went back to our new normal.  This new sensor doesn’t seem to be quite as accurate as the last one, but it could just be new sensor jitters and it hasn’t learned her yet.  Looking forward to smooth sailing from here on out. (At least until we have to deal with Edgepark to reorder sensors)